I have a real soft spot for music that came out in the Psychedelic Years of 1966-1969, and when I first getting into ‘it’, I only thought that this sort of music was produced in the UK and USA. A little digging though on the surface, it wasn’t hard to discover that the rest of the world wasn’t that far behind. I covered this topic in Episode 80 and 81 of the my podcast under the title of ‘Mundo Psych’. Those shows only scratched the service of what there was, and so this month I present Volume 1 in a more comprehensive look at this genre from around the world.
Some of these songs could be argued to be bordering on Progressive Rock, but this works well as a compilation and a genre label is pretty loose anyway.
- Same – McCully Workshop Inc.
- I Wonder Who – Aguaturbia
- Hang Out – The Kaleidoscope (Mexico)
- Hop Dedik – Erol Buyukburc
- Dark Thoughts – New Dawn
- People – Ladies W.C.
- Turkuz Turku Cagiririz (Sur Efem Atini) – Mahzar Ve Faut
- Quero Companheira – Rubinho E Mauro Assumpção
- Sweet Sixteen – Ros Sereysothea
- A Madman’s Cry – Otis Waygood
- Lenon Blues – Three Souls In My Mind
- Run & Hide – Speed, Glue & Shinki
- Yesterday – Lightyears Away – Astral Navigation
- Magic Colours – Teddy Robin & The Playboys
- En Medio De La Lluvia – La Revolución De Emiliano Zapata
- Glória Ao Rei Nos Confins Do Além – Os Mutantes
- Así Serás – Congreso
- Spring – Kim Jung Mi
- The Evening Sun – Shin Jung-Hyeon & There Men
- Foto De Primera Comunión – Los Jaivas
- Toward The Sunlight – Kim Jung Mi
- Hermano Perro – Almendra
- Sniffin’ & Snortin’ Part 2 (Vitamin C) – Speed, Glue & Shinki
- Inferno No Mundo – Bango
- Sen Varson – Bulent Ortacgil & Benimle Oynar Misin
- Walderez Walderea – Flavio Kurt
- Inento N°.2 – Antorcha
- Tatli Dillum – Cem Karaca & Kardaslar Apaslar
- E.V.O.L. – Aguaturbia
- Planetario – Geraldo Azevedo
- Parque Industrial – Gal Costa, Gilberto Gil, Os Mutantes & Caetano Veloso
- Cuando Era Nio – Los Ovnis
- Vous – Michel Pagliaro
- Une Petite Fille – Empreintes
- No Mundo Da Lua – Rubinho E Mauro Assumpçao
- Valley Of Sadness – The Third Eye
- Los Pajaros – Kissing Spell
- Beautiful Rivers & Mountains – Shin Joong Hyun & The Men
- Michael Of Hair – Tokedashita Garasu Baku
- Towards The Sunlight (Reprise) – Kim Jung Mi
Some of these songs have had a bit of an edit in places. A intro taken off here, and outro edited down there. The biggest edit is to Kim Jung Mi’s song ‘Towards The Sunlight’. I took the coda from the song and used is as the last song on Disc 2. It sounded better there than as the end of the opening song.
The title for this compilation comes from a CD released back in 2011 of the same name. It was a Various Artists disc looking at the music scene in Pernambuco, and area in northeast Brazil that had its own thriving music scene outside of the hubs of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. The cover is also adapted from that compilation as well.